Thursday, December 08, 2005

Tour de France on a fix


http://www.63xc.com/willm/tdef.htm

Pretty interesting book review on www.63xc.com about the forgotten tour. Sounds like at the origins the Tour was more of a epic off-road race first done on relaxed fixed gears. Interesting. I think for fun there should be a new Tour that is a throw back. No doping, performance enhancing drugs, or carbon. Just steel, fixed gears, beer, green, cigs, and the shittiest roads in France.

I don't know. Personally I think it could be a bit more exciting that watching some freaks of nature drafting on smooth roads. Now I can't say I watched much of this or last years Tour, but was Lance even challenged? Just a little bull shit from me. Actually had a Lance citing the other day. His office was in the same building as my title company. Lady was like, "Look, there's Lance Armstrong." Regular shorts, t-shirt, backpack, tennis shoes, and a bike over the shoulder. Way to be one less car Lance. How many other Tour riders do you think commute by bike? Maybe that is his secret for total domination.

3 comments:

Tony T said...

I know the old Tour riders indulged in alcohol and cigs, which couldn't exactly be called "performance enhancing," even if they thought so. But I seem to remember reading about riders using cocaine back then. But then everybody did. Now that'd be a tour. Everyone goofy drunk, jittery from nicotine and hyper-kinetic from nose candy. Come to think of it, using those substances was probably the only way they could finish the race back then under those conditions.

len said...

no shit, right. it'd be a lot more exciting and it'd probably increase the public's interest in cycling.

thad said...

i totally agree- the tour is kinda stale now if you compare it to back then.