Saturday, December 16, 2006

New Bike on the Way

So decided to get myself a Unit 29er for Christmas. Figure I got a few long distance races I want to do and I can't beat the deal. So I am going to get a complete bike and swap out a few parts. Trade over the jones bar from the 1x1, King Headset, brooks saddle (swift, professional, or i might just pick up a brow b17 special at my buddy's shop to help him move it), longer stem, seatpost?, and new wheels.


So anyone want to throw me their opinions on wheels it'd be sweet. Thinking Salsa Delgado rims, and not sure about the hubs. Maybe Phil or Paul if the price isn't going to be more than the bike, white, simano, I don't know. Anyone, ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice len... that kona will be awesome for you.

salsa delgado x (non-disc) rims are a big favorite of mine. every one i've built is still kicking butt, and they're cheap as dirt, so if you ding one, you won't cry.

they build up really good too -- perhaps not mavic good, but nothing else is mavic good, and for half the price of a mavic, it's 98-percent of a mavic in build quality. that's a good/fair tradeoff for this wheelbuilder. for hubs, shimano is tough to beat for value, and they're no heavier than the paul/phil options. that said, you could save a chunk of weight using hope pro-2 hubs. qbp stocks 'em -- they're pretty reasonably priced for a sweet hub.

i've had great luck with my wtb high-flange hubs too. for you, one of their single duty ss cassette hubs would be frickin' sweet. and did i mention that they're pretty darn light too? AND, the high flanges build nice, stiff 29er wheels too.

that's all i know. have fun with the new bike. i'll be acquiring a new kona soon too -- a kula 29, and i think i told you about the intense spider 29 i've got coming already. that'll be ready in january now, according to my gb dave at redstone cyclery. new bikes are fun!

len said...

decided to go for the paul hubs. not too worried about the price as my shop, Ozone is hooking a brother up.

Thanks for the beta.

Anonymous said...

Len, I think John from Ozone is running the Paul/Delgados on his Unit?? Ozone is good people.