Sunday, January 11, 2009

Excruciation Exam




Second marathon race of the season, but the first one for me. Did this one pretty much off the couch. Getting maybe 50 or so miles in a week. Fatherhood and work, riding during the week has been pretty low priority. 82 miles, start at the Flat Rock Ranch in Warda for a loop, off to Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville covering mostly dirt and some paved roads, 2 ten mile laps, and then back to Flat Rock for a short lap.

Finished 13 in the 30 plus and somewhere in the 40's overall with I well over 100 people. Same time as last year but got stuck at a train crossing right as the train was showing up. cost me at least 15 minutes. lack of gears cost me more than that. couldn't stay on the pacelines at 34x17. Would stay with them for a bit but trying to maintain a 18 to 22 mph pace with that gear for 25 miles I would not be finishing the race. Getting stronger now if I can just get motivated and get on the trainer in the morning before work at 5 am. Yeah, not as fun as riding, but its a way to get some saddle time in and not totally fuck my family.

thinking about maybe getting some gears. if it happens won't be till this time next year though.

No comments: