Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Ride Kicked My Ass







My homeboy Jermey and I braved Ice Storm 2007 and headed down to Barton Springs. Took a cool route heading down and into Pease Park. Took Jeremy in on the section that just opened in the fall. First time he had ever been on it. Pretty cool to take him on a new route when the dude is the source for sweet biking routes in Austin. Road at least and here we were on Dirt. Super muddy and wet. Stopped for a beer at a creek crossing below 5th and decided not to cross the creek. Started getting cold, but warmed up for a bit on the way to the springs. Long way around Zilker Park, under MoPac. More puddles, slush, and mud. Layer of ice added noticable weight to the bike.

Another beer. Got colder. Springs were drained and the fence removed at the spillway, I guess in anticipation of the storm and the water flushing down Barton Creek.

Took the first spill on the way back. Hike and bike trail, front tire got stuck in a rut and spilled when over taking a runner. Dumb ass. Put a hole in the knee of the fleece pants. Bummer.

Second spill was going down the ramp on the north side of Pfluger Bridge. Black ice, Jeremy went down and I followed. Discovered I bruised a part of my shin in the first crash. Thoughts of friends who have recently broken bones. Knew I didn't. Lucky.

Got a little hot snack on a climb on the way home. Not so nice. Felt like puking a few other times. Jeremy was trying to get me to stop for a beer multiple times, but I knew if I stopped that was the end. I had to get home and I had to get home as fast as possible.

With a wash bucket between my legs, I stripped out of the wet clothes. Feeling like puking was imenent managed to hold it in and make it to the tub. Warmed up a bit and drank some oj, soda, and emergen-c Tara gave me. Felt better and finished with a shower.

Then I tried to eat some soup. While taking my first bite I puked in the bowl. Luckily it was only the begining and small. Puked once more on my way to the bathroom and held it in cause my bowl was full. Then it was on to 4 full on projectile vommiting into the bottom of the tiolet!

I was done. An easy afternoon ride really kicked my ass! Pretty sweet a day on the bike can do that to you. Now I gotta rest.

3 comments:

cvo said...

that sucks man,

but at least you got out..

stay safe, don't get hit...
and quit puking...

don't be gettin hurt before our saturday ride in Ark man...

len said...

I'll do my best. Have had a streak of good luck after breaking 6 bones in 6 straight years.

Carp said...

Don't knock that purdy bridgework off your front teeth there boy. Otherwise you'll have to come up here and get some implants stuck in your upper jaw. Osseointegration is a good thing.