Monday, January 15, 2007

Webberville Cyclo-X








Some real cross conditions finally in Texas, but the weather likely kept the numbers slow. No juniors showed up to race. Small B/C field, under 20. Great course though, probably one of the better ones I've been on this season. Some of the sections at the States were more fun and the Camp Eagle had that awesome downhill, but this one had some good length, which kept people from getting lapped left and right.

My man Stuart Stafford, who is scary fast got talked into racing the B/C's before racing in A's. He went out fast and I jumped on his wheel. Put a bit of a gap on the rest of the field pretty early. At that point I decided to let Stuart go because I would have exploded trying to stay on that wheel. Kept my lead off the rest of the field for a majority of the race despite having to run one hill because I couldn't keep traction. Two guys from the Peddle Masher team on mtn bikes were giving me pursuit. With 2 laps to go one overtook me. I was cramping pretty bad at that point. Geared the bike easier, 39x17 instead of 39x16. Due to the soft, wet conditions, that was still a pretty damn hard gear to push. Felt pretty good for last lap, and started to close in on the guy who passed me, but couldn't do it. I'll take a 3rd place finish though. My homeboy, Rey had some bad luck. Tried to take a fresh line and got a stick caught in the rear der. Wrecked the der and bent the hell out of the hanger. Pretty shitty. Its steel though and probably can be replaced. Bent it bad enought that it opened up the space for the axle.

Should've lined up for the A's. Only 4 lined up and only 2 finished. Some pro from Canada who was flying (in the pink) and my man Stuart (other dude in the photos).
the money was 5 deep so I guess if i finished I would have pocketed some cash.

The Collegiate Championships were being held. It was kinda of funny. The place had the atmosphere of a frat/sorority mixer. Prior to the race, no one was warming up. All the racers were just hanging out in their team gear chatting in the pavilion. Strange? Saw the start of the B/C's. Not too impressive. Not one cross bike in the Mens and people were walking the run ups on the first lap. We decided to bounce rather than suffer watching that in the rain.

Good job Violet Crown on putting on a good race. Too bad the weather probably kept some people from showing.

No comments: