Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Newest Convert



This goes out to my good buddy CVO, the newest convert into the fixed gear world. Started riding an old frame he made a fixed gear bike about a week ago and already he's talking about getting a 29'er bike so he can run fixed/free. Is, CVO going to enter the world of off road fixed gear riding. He should. That dude is smooth out at Wilderness and he'll scorch that place up! Carp, we've gotta ride with CVO at Wilderness, smoke some butts in the alley across from Jakes, and then go drink beers at MWC. Shit, I miss cool air. Texas is hot. If you're outside you can drink a gallon of water and hold your piss all day.

I remember the first time I met CVO. It was at Cycle Works. I went in to try and get some spacers for my freewheel. He said he couldn't do it at the shop. I think I understand know. I tried to tell him I'd met this guy named Nate who worked at Buttmiester, but wanted to open a bikeshop. I already did all the shit Nate told me to do. Chain shortened and der as a tensioner. I just wanted to make it less messy in the back. CVO also pointed out how the der was bent. The bike was a fucking rat ride. I wasn't willing to pay more than $10 to make an improvement. Scrapped together and parts including the frame that the parts came on were given away. Living in Cali I was more interested in climbing and if I felt like it, bombing down the illegal dirt in Strawberry Canyon wearing tennis shoes after bouldering at Indian Rock.

Riding geared bikes started getting me bumbed. Gears are real expensive and it seems to me that if you don't devote a lot of cum to your bike it wears out quick. I break shit. Riding at CA I rode 4 warrantied Soloman snowboards in as many years. The first one I noticed that that the core along one edge had buckled in. The next three I delaminated. Usually after my third day in powder. It was a 167 that could really hold a line and a lot of speed. The newest replacement I put a core shot in it before I could delaminate it. Oh, well. I am not really planning on making a trip from Texas to go ride a snowboard. Rather not buy lift tickets and rock climb or ride for free.

Wine.

Single Speeds. For some reason they make it fun. Granted. I'll spend a lot of money on a handlebarhttp://www.jonesbikes.com/
but gears? The way I look at it is that s lack of gears allow you to indulge in your vices.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

-Benjamin Franklin

2 comments:

len said...

Thanks Carp. More pics to come as rides are taken and drinks are drank.

len said...

good luck dude, and way to stay honest. be sure to carry some cope in case the riding is tough