Thursday, November 17, 2005

Riding with the Dogs

Had to take the morning off of work today. Waiting for a check from my old 401K that we need for the closing costs. Since I was home figured I might as well go riding with the dogs! Sweet weather, not a cloud in the sky and was able to ride wearing a longs sleeve wool jersey and Carharts. Love riding in Carharts, and I don't know why. Got below freezing last night.

Not sure what I still think about this off-road fixed gear thing anymore. Wrecked three times getting caught behind the seat and over the bars after getting bucked on rocks while trying to peddle. Freewheels, what a technological concept to be embrased.

2 comments:

sda said...

thats a pretty funny picture (top).

i've always been kind of amazed at the concept of off-road fixed riding ... i can't understand how you'd make it through techy stuff without getting bucked. i'm not sure i could even clear little logs a-la a bunny hop. sheeeite, i have a hard time getting up curbs on my fixed road bike ...

probably hit the bc powder tomorrow morning. first day of the year for me ... yesssss.

len said...

Man I miss the snow, especially fresh powder. Nothing like a day full of fresh snow in the face. Hope to see some pics of that shit, yo!

The more you ride fixed the more natural it becomes. I think a big secret is letting the hips go loose and letting the bike do its thing. Bunny hops are a really interesting timing thing. Carp says he lifts the bar and does and locking his legs will bring the rear wheel up.

A walk a lot more on the fixed gear. I also crash a lot more, especially on downhills. That's where it gets hairy. Its weird, on some things it actually seems easier, but certain things seem harder. My rear tire definately seems to dig in purdy good.

Once this house closes and we get all the projects paid for, maybe I'll be able to afford a replacement brake! Alough Walnut Creek should be the closest trail system to me and that is definately good for the off-road fix.

My new motto pretty soon may be "Freewheels are not overrated"