Monday, October 03, 2005

Car and Cyclist collision

My buddy Ray witnessed a car and cyclist collide yesterday while riding his bike. Said he heard the squeal of the tires and heard the crash and nearly made him sick to his stomach. The cyclist was riding west bound along Barton Springs Road along the wrong side of the road. The accident occured at the intersection with Robert E. Lee. Robert E. Lee had a green arrow for a right turn. Ray barely missed colliding with the biker himself and said there were two cars on his ass. The car behind him wasn't so lucky. The cyclist was making a good clip and was thrown in the air and landed on the windshield of a young girls car. Her windshield was completely smashed.

Cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet, but suprisingly he was okay. Ray said the guy was pretty buff, built like Bruce Willis. The driver was also fine but very shaken.

Cyclist was being a dumb ass for riding along the wrong side of the road. This turn is super blind and even when I am on foot and have the pedestrian right of way I stop and look, well because most drivers are dumb asses and I don't want to be run over.

Ride on the right side of the road. It dangerous enough on the street. I'd like to hear some comments on this sort of thing. Any ideas?

3 comments:

cvo said...

I've ridden against traffic on one way streets sometimes. down 16th or 17th for a little while, but most of the time,
I'm same as traffic and try my best to take up a whole lane down 17th and 16th street.

It also depends on the time of day,
2am on the weekends, it's a lot safer on the sidewalk no matter where you are.


I figure sooner or latter, someone is gonna drive up behind me on my bike and honk.

( you know, wanting me to get out way...)
at that point of time, I plan on slowing down, stopping in front of them, whippin it out and pissin on the hood. then riding away on the sidewalk...

gettin run over by traffic, it's probably how i'm gonna go..

but until that day comes i'll just keep riding how I ride, I've been purdy lucks so far...no car cvo collisions.

Karma I think.
that and I don't make a move until I see the whites of their beedy little eyes....

don't take the chance ever, and you can make it home to have a beer.

len said...

I agree. I too ride on the wrong side of the road on occasion, but I am pretty careful. Looking motorist in the eyes, not darting across blind intersections, what not. I've been hit before and it was totally my bad, trying to beat a car at a red light. i was fine except for a cut on my foot. That's what you get for riding with sandals. Let me tell you, I felt like an impatient dumb ass.

How are the bee stings? Got bit myself a couple of weekends ago while rock climbing. Trying to set up a top rope and one of my dogs got into a hornets nest. He was just standing there on the top of a cliff trying to bite 'em. I got freaked cause he was starting to realize they were better at biting him and was worried he might take a tumble off the cliff. So I ran in there, threw him away from the bees, and then started swatting myself cause they were stinging me. Wish I could hate bees but I love honey.

sda said...

drives me nuts to see people around here riding "against" traffic on the wrong side of the road ... thats only legit for joggers. it really really drives me nuts when people ride "against" traffic in bike lanes. most problems occur at intersections anyway, and if your going the wrong way in a curbside bikelane, cars simply aren't looking for you, they are looking down the street oncoming traffic and you sorta sneak up on them you know ... anyway. thats my take.

riding sanely or stupidly is the pilots choice.

~daverill